Friday, March 29, 2013

The Irony of Good Friday

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. -Romans 5:8


For many years I struggled with the thought of why this day was called Good Friday. I couldn't really wrap my brain around what was so good about it. I felt awful every time I would see a Cross re-enactment on television. And it pained me to see even a picture of the dropped head of Jesus dripping with blood from the crown of thorns. It was so real in my mind, and it was so hard to watch. Today I struggle when I see it on YouTube a music video depicting the act of driving the nails in. I know it happened but it’s so graphic and realistic. And of course then Mel Gibson's movie, Passion, really sent it home.  It would pain me each time I had to witness what Jesus had to go through as I kept asking myself: Why were we calling the death of Jesus “good”?

Then last year it became clear to me when I saw the cartoon below. 
(click to see it larger)

I think of the thief next to Jesus who said less than a handful of sentences that anyone bothered to write down, and those few statements got him into heaven. Really? The thief got into heaven? He doesn't deserve it…… then as I ponder that sentence, neither do I.

The Irony of Good Friday is that it is amazing that someone would pay for my death sentence. I had never thought of the idea that it is called “Good Friday” because Jesus took the world’s sin on his shoulders. He took MY sin, everything I have done wrong, and will ever do wrong. And it wasn't like he did this without choice. He chose to do that for me. Jesus walked forward and took my death. Like the cartoon shows, is that I deserve to be hung on that cross instead of Him. He decided FOR ME to be nailed instead of me.

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. John 15:13 That is the true example of perfect love.

Lord, today is a glorious day, it is the day we remember you choosing to take the penalty of death for me. I am entirely grateful for the gift of eternal life with God. I will try daily to shine your light in my deeds and thoughts. In Jesus name, Amen.

Note: Did you know that crucifixion was such a lowly death that it written into law that no Roman citizen, no matter what he did would be sentence to death that way. But yet our King (the King of Kings) was sentenced that way.




No comments:

Post a Comment